These Gluten-free chocolate brownies are Gooey & delicious, as well as vegan.
Who said eating sweets is unhealthy?! Try out this great recipe for gluten-free, vegan brownies. They are perfect for any Christmas or New Year's Eve party. With ingredients like flaxseed, coconut oil, and almonds, you are sure to get great nutrition as well as a treat that tastes delicious!
Recipe by Pippa Kendrick.
COOKS IN 1H 20M
- 6 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 x 400g tin of aduki beans or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 75 ml sunflower oil or coconut oil
- 200 g light soft brown sugar
- 55 g cocoa powder
- 55 g ground almonds
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g dark dairy-free chocolate
For the coconut whip:
- 200 ml coconut cream
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. The day before you make your brownies, place the carton of coconut cream in the fridge and leave for 24 hours to thicken up.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Lightly grease a 23cm square brownie tin with sunflower oil and line with baking paper. In a bowl, combine the ground flaxseed with 9 tablespoons of water, stir well and leave to one side to thicken up. (The flaxseed will absorb all of the liquid, acting as a binder for the brownies.)
3. Place the beans in a food processor and blitz to a smooth paste. Add the flaxseed mixture, sunflower oil, sugar, cocoa, ground almonds, baking powder and vanilla extract, then pulse everything again until you have a rich and glossy batter.
4. Roughly chop the dark chocolate into small chunks, add to the mixture and pulse briefly just to incorporate the chocolate. Spoon the batter into the prepared brownie tin and bake for 55–60 minutes, covering the brownies loosely in tin foil halfway through cooking to stop them catching. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool just a little.
5. In a bowl, whisk the chilled coconut cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract until thick and creamy. Slice the brownie into squares and serve with the coconut whip for drizzling.
Nutrition per serving
Calories 440 22%
Fat 27g 39%
Saturates 11g 55%
Protein 8g 18%
Carbs 43g 17%
Sugar 33g 37%